Dragging a knee

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!

Can you drag a knee?

Yes
68%
No
26%
Don't even try for it
5%

Total votes: 19

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Dragging a knee

Post by orionburn »

I've dragged a peg once or twice, but that's about it. I realize getting a knee down is more about proper body position than lean angle, but still something I haven't been able to do. Granted I'm leary of trying to lean too much on public roads. For one, you never can be sure what's going to be in your path, and two, I don't want to go sliding across lanes in a worse case scenerio. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do a track day to get some real practicing in.

One question I've always had lingering in my mind....is there a "minimum" speed in which you can drag a knee? I've read stories where guys have said they've literally gotten their bikes upright again from pushing off with their leg/knee.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

I've dragged elbow. :lol:

Of course it was followed by dragging shoulder....
dragging helmet...
dragging clipon...
tumbling across track....

:D
YZFRob

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

Want me to add some more choices to the poll, Rob? :funny
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

hahahahaha, good post rob.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

Call me careful but I usually keep my knees inboard. Now I have scraped the sides of my boots a time or two !

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I haven't touched a knee in................ . 16-17 years I guess its been.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

FZRDude wrote:I haven't touched a knee in................ . 16-17 years I guess its been.
Ya know Jenny Craig can help you be able to touch your knees again. :D
YZFRob

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

YZFRob wrote:
Ya know Jenny Craig can help you be able to touch your knees again. :D
She can stretch his arms ?

:banana

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

YZFRob wrote:Ya know Jenny Craig can help you be able to touch your knees again. :D
At 6'3" and 155 lbs, I doubt that I have a weight problem.... well actually I do have a weight problem... not enough of it.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

silver
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by silver »

So perhaps we should call you "Stringbean Dude" !!!

190 @ 6'. But unfortunately most of it's around the middle :?

gane
Veteran Poster

Post by gane »

Never on the street, 3 or 4 times a lap on track. does't make you any faster, just lets you know whats left.G
G
"just because You think everyone's against you, it only means your' paranoid. " not that your' wrong."

yamaweezle
Regular Poster

Post by yamaweezle »

gane wrote:...does't make you any faster...
dragging a knee has made me a faster track rider...it's built my confidence some, and it gives me reference as to what the lean angle of my bike is...
She said, "It's just a bike...It can be replaced...", and I said, "Good, now you and my bike have something in common...".

Matt
NESBA #347
2004 YAMAHA R1

owdamer
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by owdamer »

Yes, but it was 9 years ago!!. I did both knees on consecutive bends on the road after lots of practice. Could I do it again?? Hmmm, probably not.
I'm older, wiser, definately slower and the roads are a whole lot bumpier!
1994 YZF750R
Bluish White Cocktail.
Getting older by the day.

Yoniboi
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by Yoniboi »

I recently did a track day on the EXUP1000 with instructors at Cartagena in Spain (where they're going to be setting up the new 1098 SuperStock Duke in March) and despite hanging off completely, riding right to the edge of the Pilot Powers and keeping up with a load of guys dragging knees I never got mine down.

I wondered if it was anything to do with the dogbones, you know, with the arse of the bike higher perhaps you run out of tyre before your body gets that low. In the end I decided that that idea was crap and that it was a flexibilty thing, I'm not flexible enough, or my leathers aren't, and when hanging off the bike I simply can't stick my knee out far enough.

Simple as that.

John
If you're going to take a shot at me let me know so I can duck...!

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I can get a knee down. Thing is though...the street sure ain't the place to be doing it.
I used to ride the boat in the morning to work. There were a couple guys that one might have considered "Squids" Big strips on the tires and they were talking about getting a knee down. Well...the rest of us listened to this for a couple mornings. Now mind you there were sport riders and cruser riders and dual sport riders... So one day when getting off the boat. About ten of us dropped a knee almost touching the ground leaving the boat. Crusers and all. Sparks flying nad those guys were hanging WAY off. Funny stuff
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

when hanging off the bike I simply can't stick my knee out far enough.
Having the knee out is primarily a lean angle gauge. If you're getting the lean angle feedback you need without your knee touching the ground then you're knee is out far enough. Watch the professional race videos closely. You see them in some corners hardly hanging off at all with knees in. In other corners their knee is out but not touching the ground. Some corners their knee is out and touching the ground. And then there's the more extreme corners where their knee is barely out and they're touching the ground. It varies depending how much is enough to give you the lean angle feedback you need. Hanging off is to weight the bike so you can use less lean angle through the turn. The knee is used to gauge the lean angle.

Don

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

two funny posts by rob in this thread. the boy's on a roll.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

owdamer
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by owdamer »

I used to keep going through the same set of bends over and over again trying different things. I think the fisrt time i touched down I nearly crashed because it made me jump!. After a while I could do it easily, but it never felt entirely natural.
Here's a pic of me on the bend in question, but i'm wearing jeans and not getting the knee down.
1994 YZF750R
Bluish White Cocktail.

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

owdamer, where is this...it really looks familiar, can't make out the name of the pub behind :?:

owdamer
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by owdamer »

Its the A62 between Huddersfield & Oldham. That bend is just past Delph on the way back to Oldham. Its a lovely uphill S bend. The Pub just behind is the Cross Keys Inn. Dunno if its any good, I've only ever ridden past!!! :D

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... 521&icon=x

1994 YZF750R
Bluish White Cocktail.