stripped screw in brake fluid cover

Want the specs for a valve adjustment? Can you provide tips for bleeding brakes? Please use this section.
tnoutlaw36
New Poster

Post by tnoutlaw36 »

went to change brake fluid today you guessed it stripped a screw head. anybody ever tried the tips that are desighed to remove a screw before i go out and buy them? thanks for any info

vinsanity69
Veteran Poster

Post by vinsanity69 »

There are a couple of ways to go about this.....
You can drill the head off then grab the shank with vise grips and turn it out.
Or you can use a left handed drill bit.these are a good idea but do not always work like they should.
Craftsman has some screw extrator sets but I never used them myself.They look like they work on tv but we know how things are in the real world........
89 fzr 1000 dragbike
94 foxeye street bike

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

went to change brake fluid today you guessed it stripped a screw head
The Japanese star (Philips) screw head is a different size (contour) than the standard Philips head screw. Very easy to strip unless you use the correct size screw driver.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

If you have dremel and are real careful, you can cut a slot in the remainder of the head with a small cutting disc...then use a slotted driver to turn it out. Put alot of down force on the screwdriver and then tap the top of it gently with a hammer as you apply anti-clockwise force

It'll move!! ;)

tnoutlaw36
New Poster

stripped screw

Post by tnoutlaw36 »

thanks for all the info. bought a bit at sears today going to try it . when i get it out going to teplace with allen heads if i can find them

tnoutlaw36
New Poster

Post by tnoutlaw36 »

used the 7.99 bit from sears took about 5 secs worth the money they come in 3 sizes.

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

just reading this thread, but on nuts and bolts that haven't been torqued to high heaven, the craftsman screw extractors usually work pretty well.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

Hooligan wrote:just reading this thread, but on nuts and bolts that haven't been torqued to high heaven, the craftsman screw extractors usually work pretty well.
+1

If it's something that's rusty or been in there for a long time, chances are they won't work. I've had moderate success with the kit I have. Worth having around to say the least. Saved my ass a few times in the past. Anymore if I have a screw strip out and need to order a new one I pick up about 3 or 4 extra to have on hand. Sometimes it's better to replace a 20 cent screw every time to avoid the headaches.
sting wrote:If you have dremel and are real careful, you can cut a slot in the remainder of the head with a small cutting disc...then use a slotted driver to turn it out.
+1 on that as well. Biggest risk is cutting a little bit into the cap of the cylinder, but the Dremel trick does work good.
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

wslonger
Veteran Poster

Post by wslonger »

I use a 1/2" Countersink bit its the right size to take the head off and leave enough of a stud sticking up to get pliers or vice grips on most times they can be removed with your fingers after the head is off.